Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Eating well in the backcountry -Make your own Dehydrated foods

I like food and I like to eat well.  The food you end up with in the backcountry can be, well, not so good.  When we're out we want simple just add hot water and eat kind of food.  It is quick and easy to make, light weight and easy to clean up after.  After a hard day I don't want to mess with much more than that.  But some of those pre-packaged dinners are filled with crap, and really expensive.  So I make my own for a quarter of the price.  I have a dehydrator that can dehydrate everything from soup to smoothies.  I also will buy fruit when it is on special (mangoes are $1.00 each at City Market this week) and dehydrate it for snacks.  Dehydrated food doesn't look all that good until it is re-hydrated but ohhh it is so tasty and made with all the ingredients you put in it.  I use an American Harvester Dehydrator that has served me well for many years
 Nesco American Harvest FD-61WHC Snackmaster Express Food Dehydrator All-In-One Kit with Jerky Gun.

No comments:

Post a Comment